GeoGuessr Alternatives: The Best Free Options to Play
GeoGuessr, a popular edutainment game launched in 2013, became a hit for geography enthusiasts. Originally free, it shifted to a premium model in 2019 due to Google Maps API price hikes. While some developers shifted to alternatives like OpenStreetMap, GeoGuessr stuck with Google’s mapping services. This move led many players to seek free alternatives. If you’re among them, here are 13 top geography-based trivia games akin to GeoGuessr that you can enjoy today.
Top GeoGuessr Alternatives
This article compiles the best free alternatives to GeoGuessr that are playable on both computers and mobile devices. Similar to GeoGuessr, these games challenge your geography skills, and they either come entirely free or provide a limited-feature free version. Without delay, let’s dive into the list of GeoGuessr-like games.
When it comes to the best alternatives to GeoGuessr, you have to choose Seterra. The best thing about this web-based video game is it provides fun quizzes to make the game more exciting.
- Comes with nine game modes
- More than 400 maps are available in 40+ languages
- You can custom quizzes with friends and family
You can use the free version of www.seterra.com initially. If you want to upgrade, you can subscribe for $1.99/month.
Just like Seterra, PlayGeography is one of the best GeoGuessr alternatives right now. This platform is created by an educational firm called TeachMe. This game is good for those people who want to learn about world geography.
- Each game has a timer for quick answers
- PlayGeography has 2D maps and quizzes
PlayGeography is completely free to use.
3. City Guesser
If you are looking for a free alternative to GeoGuessr, you need to check what City Guessr is offering. Instead of using Google Maps API, City Guesser uses a full video. You can play this game either by joining the public room or creating a private one.
- You can get a full-screen video for any random location
- This game also has a multiplayer mode, so you can compete with your friends and family.
City Guesser is free to play.
Geotastic is one of the best GeoGuessr alternatives. Besides being a free platform, this game provides various geography trivia questions. You can play Geotastic with your friends and family.
- Has different game modes, flag guessing modes, and popular landmarks
- You can either play by using single-player mode or online lobby
- This game covers more than 80 countries
This game is completely free to play. However, you can donate to Geotastic.
GetLost is another free alternative to GeoGuessr. This game is mainly focused on the geographical location of India and the US. GetLost also includes hints for random maps. You need to create an account to play this game.
- GetLost does not have a multiple player mode
- This game is mainly focused on the US, so you can find a location easily.
- You can play up to five games per day
You can use the free version of GetLost. If you want to get the premium version, you need to pay $2.99/month.
6. Hide & Seek World
If you are looking for a fun geography game, Hide & Seek World is the ideal one for you. This trivia game has a great concept. Plus, you can have multiple-player experience in this web-based game.
- This game has two modes; Satellite and Street View
- Hide & Seek World has a multiplayer mode, so you can enjoy it with your friends
- You can app up to 20 players on the private mode
Hide & Seek World has a free version. If you want to get the paid version, you have to pay $3/month.
7. World Geography Games
World Geography Games are very entertaining. The best thing is this game is ideal for everyone. However, this game will test your geography skill while you are playing.
- World Geography Games include 3D mapping and videos
- This game is quite hard at some point
You can play World Geography Games free of cost.
Ducksters is one of the popular GeoGuessr alternatives right now. If you are looking for a game that covers all the states of the US, you can try this one. You can also play some amazing games such as word searches, crossword puzzles, and mapping games in this portal.
- Ducksters includes a geography word search
- This game allows you to play with printable offline maps
- Ideal for those people who want a game that covers all US states
Ducksters is also free to use. There’s no paid version available.
9. Lizard Point
Lizard Point has some cool features and tons of quizzes related to world geography. If you want to improve your geography skill, this one is one of the best GeoGuessr alternatives. When you are visiting the homepage, it will show some popular quizzes.
- A good collection of geography quizzes
- You can use the study mode while playing. It can give you extra information
Playing Lizard Point is completely free. You are getting good content free of cost
Zoomtastic is a very interesting alternative to GeoGuessr. By playing this game, you can learn a lot of things about the various locations. Thus, it’s ideal for kids. By giving each correct answer, you will get 100 points. Many people believe that Zoomtastic is one of the leading GeoGuessr alternatives right now.
- You are getting 30 seconds to answer
- Zoomtastic is also mobile-friendly
- This game has amazing graphic
You can play Zoomtastic for free. They are providing such knowledge and experience for free.
11. GuessWhere Challenge
GuessWhere Challenge is another great alternative to GeoGuessr. This app is exclusively designed for Android devices. The best thing about this game is it will virtually teleport you to a random destination. You have to guess the location by seeing a panorama.
- Comes with different geo-challenges
- GuessWhere Challenge has several gaming modes such as multiple options and remote places
- You can play with your friends and family by using multiplayer mode
GuessWhere Challenge is free to play. However, you can only play this game if you have an Android device.
12. Where Am I?
Last but not least, Where Am I is one of the most promising GeoGuessr alternatives on this list. Hence, this game is ideal for minimalists. To play this game, you have to hover over the location and they will show you hints.
- Where Am I is deal for mobile browsers
- Provides add-free experience
- You have to guess the answer by using a panoramic view
Being a fun game, Where Am I is available for free. Plus, this app comes with add-free features.
Users of the website MapCrunch can virtually travel to any location in a Google Street View tour. It served as the inspiration for a multiplayer web game where players had to navigate from a generated point to an airport.
- Start your exploration of the world with Google Street View, then let Mapcrunch take you to random locations all across the planet. Enjoy the diverse images that Google has captured in numerous nations.
- As Mapcrunch continuously adds the best photos uploaded by users worldwide, let the breathtaking countryside enthral you! You can view many of the stunning Street Views on your screen with just one mouse click. From the available panel or the map, you select the nations.
Mapcrunch Is Free To Play
You see, there are several alternatives available for GeoGuessr. We have covered a total of twelve GeoGuessr alternatives. If you are looking for something different, you can choose one of these. Make sure you are visiting their official website to get more details.
For more information, you can start your research. If you are a newbie, make sure you are playing the free version first. It can improve your knowledge to play the premium version.